How do I sell a car that doesn't run?
I have this old car that doesn't run anymore, and I want to sell it. How can I do that?
There are a couple of different approaches to sell a car that doesn’t run. Here are a few options.
- Try fixing it up. If you’re able to fix your car before selling it, you could get more from the sale.
- Put out a local ad in the newspaper or online to see if anyone is interested. Be sure to mention that the car doesn’t work and whether or not you’ll help transport it.
- Talk to a scrapyard to see how much they’ll pay you for your car.
- Sell the parts individually.
- Ask a local dealer to see if they’d be interested in buying your car and fixing it up.
- If all else fails and you still want to get rid of your car, you can donate it to a local charity. While you won’t get any money from this, you will get the car off of your property!
When you do get rid of your car, make sure you cancel any insurance policy attached to it. While you’re at it, take a look at the policy that you have for your other car(s). Many people pay too much for their car insurance, but the Jerry app can help. With Jerry, you’ll be able to look at quotes from over 50 other insurers to find one that works for you.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How much is car interior cleaning?
My kids have done a number on my minivan's interior, and I want to get it cleaned up. There are so many different kinds of stains in there; how much is car interior cleaning?
Nov 02, 2021
How do you cut Honda springs?
I’d like to lower my Honda a little bit. I know how to get the coils off, but I’m not sure how to safely shorten them. What’s the best way to cut my Honda’s coil springs?
Dec 13, 2021
How do I remove a car parked on private property?
My neighbors keep parking in my driveway. It's really annoying, especially since I cut hair at my house and that's where my clients usually park. I've asked them to park somewhere else, but I keep waking up to their cars in my driveway. Is there any way that I can remove them?
Dec 13, 2021