How do I reset my car’s engine oil light?
I drive a 2004 Toyota Camry and just had my oil and oil filter changed, but the indicator light is still on—how do I reset my car’s engine oil light?
Answer provided by
Good question! If you’re changing your oil yourself or for some reason the engine oil light wasn’t reset by your mechanic, you can reset it yourself by following these steps:
- Locate the reset button/switch (usually found on your dashboard) and turn your vehicle on, but do not start the engine
- Cycle through your odometer modes until it displays your total mileage driven and turn the ignition off
- Press and hold the reset button while turning the ignition back on—the oil light should start to blink
- Allow the light to blink on and off for a few seconds and then ease up on the reset button—you can now switch the ignition off
- Start your vehicle to verify whether the engine oil light has turned off—if it hasn’t, repeat the process or consult your owner’s manual
Now, you may find that the exact steps differ slightly from vehicle to vehicle, but the basic procedure is the same across different make and models. In some trucks and older vehicles, you may only need to switch the ignition on and quickly depress the gas pedal 3 to 5 times.
Changing your oil regularly is an important part of being a responsible car owner—but so is making sure you’re covered by the right insurance policy. Licensed car insurance super app Jerry makes finding and comparing affordable quotes easier than ever, saving the average user $887 a year on their car insurance payments.
Here to save on car and home insurance? Great, you do that. We’ll do everything else.
Sign up in under a minute.
No need to fill out forms or shop around. Sign up in 45 seconds to start saving. Jerry does the rest.
Jerry collects and analyzes your current coverage.
Say hello to Jerry, your new insurance agent. We’ll contact your insurance company, review your current plan, then find the coverage that fits your needs and saves you money.
Get the best options before your renewal.
Jerry does all the picky, busy work by comparing prices and coverage from more than 50+ insurance companies. We compare what we find to your current policy and offer you the three best options before every renewal.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
What does a Ford H9 axle code mean?
I want to change my differential oil, but I’m not sure what it takes. Can you tell me anything about a Ford H9 axle code?
Apr 21, 2022
When should I check my engine oil?
I just recently purchased my first car and I know that checking my engine oil is a thing I need to do, but I don’t know how often I need to do it—when should I be checking my engine oil level?
Andrew (Andy) Biro
Apr 21, 2022
What is a Ford H9 axle code?
The sticker inside my truck door has “H9” listed in the axle column. Can you tell me what an H9 axle code means?
Apr 21, 2022