How do I replace a missing car title in Pennsylvania?

Someone stole my title from my car and I need to replace it. Where can I do that? Will it cost me anything?

“Luckily, losing your car title isn’t the end of the world. Stolen titles can be replaced, but there will be a few things you’ll need to do first.
Start with the necessary paperwork. To apply for a new title, you’ll need to fill out an Application for Duplicate Title form, otherwise known as Form MV-38O. These forms are available electronically on the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation Driver and Vehicle Services website or in hard copy at authorized PennDOT locations.
You’ll also have to pay an associated fee. Each state’s fee is different, but in Pennsylvania, you’ll be paying $58.00.
Pennsylvania does not issue duplicate titles in person. You will need to send the form and check or money order to: PA Department of Transportation Bureau of Motor Vehicles P.O. Box 68593 Harrisburg, PA 17106-8593
You will receive the updated title within 5-10 days.
If your title wasn’t the only thing stolen from your car, you’ll want to check with your insurance provider to see if your policy covers theft. The friendly agents at Jerry can help you compare coverage options and provide advice to help ensure that you and your car are both protected moving forward.”
Rachel Juillerat
Answered on Sep 13, 2021
Rachel Juillerat has her Master's in Publishing & Writing from Emerson College. You can view her work in the Independent, Cupid's Pulse, and the Penmen Review. She has worked in personal finance for five years before transitioning to insurance. She lives in Boston, where she spends her time exploring small New England towns, learning new skills, and napping through her cat's zoomies.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.