How do I replace a car tire on a rim?
The tread on my tires is worn, so I need to replace them. I don’t want to pay the high price tag at a tire shop, so I’m going to replace them myself. What are some tips and tricks to replace a car tire on a rim?
Tires typically wear out after about 50,000 to 80,000 miles, so if your tread is looking worn, replacing it is a great way to stay safe behind the wheel.
Fortunately, replacing a car tire on a rim is fairly easy. All you need is a jack, a stretching strap, and a new tire.
To take the car tire off the rim, follow these steps:
- Deflate the tire and take it off the car.
- Place the jack under the tire, making sure not to put the jack on the rim.
- Run your strap through the spoke and bring it back around through another spoke. Clasp it to ensure it’s strapped on and ratchet it to tighten the strap.
- Jack up the tire until the bead is broken.
- Use a crowbar or a Sawzall to slice the tire off.
To put a new tire on the rim, use these instructions:
- Lay the rim on the ground.
- Spray window cleaner or put soap on the bead of the tire.
- Position the tire on the rim.
- Step on top of the tire to get one side on.
- Spray again with the cleaner or soap.
- Use a crowbar to tuck the other sides of the tire into the rim.
While replacing a car tire on a rim seems easy, it can give you grief if you’ve never done it before. Persistence usually pays off, but if you’re at your wit’s end, take it to a tire store.
While waiting for your shiny new tires, save money on other car expenses by comparing competitive car insurance quotes quickly and easily with the Jerry app.
As a licensed broker, Jerry will gather quotes from over 50 top providers in minutes. When you find a better rate, Jerry can help you buy your new coverage and even cancel your old policy. The average Jerry user saves $879 a year.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do I repair a car alternator?
I tried to start my car the other day, but nothing happened. I had the battery tested at a local auto parts store, and it had a full charge. The guy at the auto parts store said it was probably my alternator. After looking at repair costs, I decided to do the job myself even though it’s my first time. How do I go about repairing a car alternator?
Dec 01, 2021
How do I repair a car battery that won't hold a charge?
I’ve jumpstarted my battery, trickle charged it, and tried about every home remedy I can think of, but my battery still won’t hold a charge. What are some ways to repair my car battery if it won’t hold a charge?
Dec 01, 2021
How do I repair keyed car scratches?
My ex and I had a bad breakup. Recently, I went to get in my car and noticed that it was keyed. I want to repair the damage without taking my car to an auto body shop if possible. How do I go about repairing keyed car scratches?
Dec 01, 2021