How do I remove rust stain from car paint?
How do I remove rust without damaging my car’s paint? I have some minor rust stains on the surface of my vehicle. I want to remove it before the condition gets worse.
Don’t worry; you’ve come to the right place! To remove rust stain from your car paint, you will need the following items:
- Painter’s tape or automotive masking tape
- Aerosol or liquid rust remover
- Clean rag
- Grease and wax remover soap
- Step one: Use painter’s or automotive tape to mask off areas you want to protect.
- Step two: Using an aerosol or liquid rust remover, follow the instructions provided on the bottle. Let the product rest on the surface of the vehicle for a few minutes. Wipe off the product with a clean rag.
- Step three: Use sandpaper to remove any remaining rust.
- Step four: Clean the surface of the vehicle with grease and wax remover soap. Let it air dry.
- Step five: To protect the target area from rust in the future, spray three coats of primer. Let it naturally dry for one hour.
Your car should now be rust free!
Since you take great care of your car, consider adding a roadside assistance membership for extra protection with Jerry. Jerry’s membership provides you with industry-leading roadside assistance, including benefits like towing, lockout service, and a mechanics hotline. To find out if you’re eligible, you can check the app or call one of our friendly agents. You may qualify for a special rate of $50 for your first year!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How many months of consecutive employment do I need to get a car loan?
I was looking at car loans and most of them say you need to show proof of income. I've only had my current job for three months. Before that, I had a long period of unemployment. How many months of income do you need to buy a car?
Nov 15, 2021
What happens if I don't reaffirm my car loan after a repo?
I was told by a friend that I should reaffirm my car loan since I'm in bankruptcy proceedings. Is a reaffirmation agreement really necessary?
Nov 15, 2021
How do I add my wife to my car loan?
My wife wants to boost her credit score, so I offered to put her on my car loan. What’s the best way to add someone to an existing loan?
Nov 15, 2021