How do I remove my car’s rear window tint?
How do I remove my car tint? I live in Florida and the hot and sunny weather has slowly worn down the adhesive on my tint.
While having sunshine around is always nice, it can cause your tint to bubble or peel over time. Not to worry, though, there is a removal technique that only requires a few materials!
Materials you will need:
- Two large, black garbage bags
- Two clean spray bottles
- Face mask
- Ammonia solution
- Razor blade
- Glass cleaner
- Clean microfiber cloth
- Step one: Cut the edges of the two garbage bags to fit the rear window.
- Step two: In a spray bottle, make a solution with soap and water. Spray the exterior side of the window and place one of the garbage bags over it.
- Step three: Put on a face mask to protect yourself from the ammonia vapors. Take another clean spray bottle and pour one part water, one part ammonia. Spray the mixture on the interior side of the window and take the other large garbage bag to cover this side of the glass.
- Step four: Park your car in the sun. Leave for one hour. The heat from the sun will help loosen the adhesive on the tint.
- Step five: Use your fingernail or a razor blade to begin peeling the tint and garbage bag from the interior side of the window. When peeing, remember to always keep it moist with the ammonia mixture.
- Step six: Remove the garbage bag from the exterior of the side of the glass and use glass cleaner and a clean microfiber cloth to clean the window.
And just like that, your tint is gone!
Since you care about your car, keep it protected with the right car insurance coverage with the Jerry app. Jerry gathers personalized quotes from more than 50 top insurance providers in seconds, ensuring you always have the best rate and coverage.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you best clean leather car seats?
What’s the best way to clean leather car seats from home? I’d like to start saving money on professional cleaners, but I don’t know much about cleaning car interiors. I’d like to learn at least one reliable DIY method for cleaning leather seats.
Nov 16, 2021
How do I remove feces odor from car seat?
My dog had an accident when I took her to the park today. How do I remove feces odor from my car seat?
Nov 16, 2021
How do I reverse a car in a straight line?
I want to get ready for the parking section of my driver’s test. How do I reverse a car in a straight line?
Nov 16, 2021