How do I remove car tint from the rear window?
How do I remove the tint from the rear window? I’ve had my rear tint for quite some time and it’s starting to bubble. I want to remove the tint, but not sure how.
It’s common for tint over time to begin bubbling or peeling from your windows. Luckily, you can easily remove your tint with a few basic materials.
Materials you will need:
- Thick, black garbage bag
- Spray bottle with water
- Clean microfiber cloth
- Step one: Open the garbage bag and cut it to be as big as your rear window.
- Step two: Once fitted, apply it to the interior side of your rear window. Heavily spray the window so that the garbage bag will adhere better to the glass. You can use a squeegee to help the garbage bag secure against the tint.
- Step three: Turn on the heat in your car and park in the sun. Turn on your rear defroster and leave the car for one hour. The heat from your car will loosen the adhesive glue of the tint.
- Step four: Use a razor blade to peel back one of the tint’s top corners. Take your time with this process. You want to be able to pull both the tint and plastic garbage bag down and away from the window. Work slowly to avoid ripping the tint into smaller pieces.
- Step five: Once the tint is fully removed, wipe the interior side of the window** with a dry, clean microfiber cloth and you’re all set!
Removing the tint properly from your rear window may be a long process, but getting quotes for car insurance with the Jerry app takes less than a minute. Choose from competitive quotes from more than 50 top insurance companies and Jerry takes care of the rest!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How can you clean car stains?
I drive for Uber and Lyft almost every weekend to make extra money, and I enjoy the work, but my car’s upholstery has taken quite a beating. How can I clean stains from my car’s upholstery?
Nov 15, 2021
How do you clean mold off a car’s interior?
I bought an old car with engine issues as a weekend project, but I’ve found some mold growing on the interior. I want to get rid of the mold before I start fixing it up. How do you clean mold off a car’s interior?
Nov 15, 2021
How do you clean out your car radiator?
My car has been acting up a bit recently. My father, who is a retired mechanic, said the radiator needs to be cleaned out and flushed. Typically, my dad would have just done it for me, but he no longer lives in the area and said I should be able to do it myself. I know a bit about cars, but how do you clean out your car’s radiator?
Nov 15, 2021