How do I qualify for gap insurance on my brand-new Honda?

Are there any qualification requirements I should know about for gap insurance? And how do I apply?

“If you are buying a new car, the odds are the dealer will bring up the option of purchasing gap insurance. If they don’t, make sure to ask about it before you sign the contract for your car.
The primary qualifications for gap insurance are as follows:
  • You must have a lease or loan for your vehicle.
  • The car must be no more than two or three model years old.
If you are fortunate enough to pay for your new car with cash, you won’t need to worry about buying this coverage.
If you purchase gap insurance from the dealership, it will be rolled into your loan and you will be paying interest on it as part of your car payment.
Several carriers like Progressive and Nationwide offer gap insurance as an add-on option for their policies, and at a much lower price than the dealership. If you get a lower price from your carrier, you can secure the new coverage first and then cancel the more costly gap insurance with the dealership. “
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 06, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free