How do I put freon in my Toyota Corolla?
The air-conditioning in my car has been blowing warm air recently, and I think it needs more freon. I want to save some money and do it myself, so I picked up a canister of freon earlier today. How can I recharge the air-conditioning and put freon in my Toyota Corolla?
- Open the hood and locate the low-side pressurized service port on the aluminum pipe exiting the condenser.
- Fit the recharging kit’s coupler onto the service port but do not turn the valve.
- Start the engine, roll down all the windows, and run the air-conditioner at its lowest setting.
- Let the engine warm to its standard operating temperature and let the air-conditioning get as cold as possible.
- Turn the valve of the recharging canister and monitor the pressure gauge.
- Shut the valve off once you reach the recommended pressure indicated on the gauge, typically between 25 and 40 psi, and leave the canister attached for one minute.
- Continue monitoring the gauge and add refrigerant as needed, waiting one minute between spurts.
- Remove the coupler and allow the air-conditioner to run for about ten minutes.