How do I make an uninsured driver pay for damages after I'm in an accident with them?

The uninsured driver was at fault and just got away with it. I have uninsured motorist coverage, but I'm required to pay $250 to file a claim. I don't think I should have to pay my deductible since it wasn't my fault. How can I make the other driver pay for the damage?

“Unfortunately, in cases like this, your uninsured motorist coverage is going to be the best option for you. While you could pursue the uninsured driver in court, you’ll most likely spend more than your $250 deductible.
Additionally, it is common for uninsured drivers to file for bankruptcy to avoid having to pay any fees or costs related to an accident. Not only are they required to pay for any damage or injuries, but they also face fines from the state for driving uninsured.
If you’re unhappy with the coverage that your current carrier is offering, you can shop around once your claim is complete. Not every carrier requires a deductible for uninsured motorist coverage. You may be able to find a similar or more competitive rate with another carrier.
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 10, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free