How do I lower the cost of my car insurance if I have a bad driving record?
I was kind of a reckless driver when I was younger, and I have a string of tickets and at-fault accidents on my record. Now I pay way too much for my insurance. How do I lower the cost of my car insurance considering my bad driving record?
I’m sorry to hear that. When you have a bad driving record, one way to lower the cost of your car insurance is to ask your insurance provider about discounts.
Common discounts are available for:
- Drivers who have multiple cars on one auto insurance policy
- Drivers who bundle their home and auto insurance
- Students who earn at least a B average
- Members of certain professional organizations
- Drivers who complete a defensive driving course
Here are some other tips for saving money on your car insurance:
- Look into high-risk insurance companies. Some providers specialize in policies for high-risk drivers.
- Rethink your current coverage. Depending on your vehicle, your personal circumstances, and your state’s insurance laws, you might be able to go without certain types of car insurance, like comprehensive coverage or collision coverage.
- Comparison shop with Jerry. When you sign up with Jerry, you can compare quotes from up to 50 of the nation’s top insurance companies to find an affordable policy that works best for you.
MORE: 14 safe driving tips
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do I open the trunk of a Ford Ecosport?
How do I open the trunk of my Ford Ecosport? I just got this car and I’m having trouble navigating it. Any help?
Nov 01, 2021
How to get cheap car insurance in nj?
I just moved to New Jersey and I just ended my old auto insurance policy. What's the best way to get cheap car insurance in this state?
Nov 04, 2021
How do I change my car insurance to another car?
I want to buy a new car for myself, but my wife handles the insurance in the house. How can I change my car insurance to another car?
Nov 04, 2021