How do I know if my car is overheating?
My car has been acting really weird lately and I’m trying to figure out if it’s overheating. My temperature light hasn’t worked in a long time, so it’s of little help. How else can I tell? What happens when your car overheats?
Usually, the temperature light or gauge is the easiest way to know if your car is overheating.
Since yours isn’t in working condition, here are a few other signs that your car is overheating:
- Your car smells hot. Excessive heat will cause a peculiar smell to radiate from your vehicle that can only be described as smelling hot. You would certainly know it if it was there.
- You hear a ticking sound coming from your engine. This may indicate that the oil is hot and has become too thin to properly lubricate the engine.
- You see coolant on the ground. This could be a sign that your cooling system has a leak. Without the cooling system, your engine has no way of regulating temperature and will eventually overheat.
- You see steam coming from your hood. This is an indicator that your engine is boiling coolant and needs to be shut off immediately.
- Your hood feels hot. If the hood of your vehicle is too hot for you to rest your hand on for 10 seconds, this is another sign of severe overheating.
If something seems off with your car, you should have it looked at by a professional before you find yourself on the side of the road. However, if your vehicle does overheat, keep calm. Either wait for the engine to cool down or call a tow truck.
Concerned about your car breaking down? Try a roadside assistance membership with Jerry. Jerry’s roadside assistance membership protects you with its nationwide network of 55,000+ service providers.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How can I stop my car windows from steaming up?
Now that the weather is getting cold again, I’m having trouble keeping my car windows from steaming up. What's the best way to prevent windows from fogging?
Oct 21, 2021
How do I stop a car smoothly?
I’m a new driver and I’m really struggling with getting the car to stop smoothly when approaching a stop sign or red light. It seems like no matter what I do, the car jolts whenever I touch the pedal—I’m getting pretty discouraged. How do you properly brake a car?
Oct 21, 2021
How do you stop your car from getting repossessed?
I know I’m behind on my car payments so I’m worried about my car getting repossessed. How do I stop the repo man from taking my car?
Oct 21, 2021