How do I know if I should buy a new vehicle?
"I’ve got a 2011 Dodge Caravan. It’s served me well, but the maintenance and repair costs have been creeping up over time, plus I’ve gotten a bit bored with it. How do I decide if I should get a new vehicle and ditch my old one?
“Deciding whether to buy a new vehicle when you already have one is one of the most difficult decisions to make as a car owner or buyer. To know if this is the right move for your finances and lifestyle, ask yourself these questions:
- Can I afford a new vehicle?
- What trade-in value can I get to offset the cost of a new vehicle?
- Are the maintenance bills consistently high enough to warrant a new vehicle purchase?
- Are there any lifestyle changes that have happened since you bought the original vehicle, such as children or caring for an elderly parent?
- Do you need a vehicle with updated equipment based on entertainment, safety, or drivability?
Answering these questions can point you in the right direction, but staying within your budget and buying a vehicle to fit your needs are still an integral part of making the final decision. “
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
Does home insurance cover the current market value of my property?
I'm trying to understand how insurance companies determine my home's worth. Does current market value play any role here?
Mar 03, 2021
Will my renters insurance cover me in a legal dispute with my landlord over missing rent?
My landlord filed a lawsuit against me for rent owed. Will my renters insurance cover my legal fees?
Apr 08, 2021
Can a car loan have a different name on it than the name on the car title?
"My wife's name is on the title of our car, but we want to refinance the loan in my name. Can the car loan and the title have different names on them?"
Jul 27, 2021