How do I keep gnats out of my garden?
I finally moved to a home that has a garden I can plant outside in. I’m enamored with everything about this garden…except the gnats. For some reason, these stupid gnats (and their disgusting maggots) are appearing everywhere! It’s maddening. How do I keep gnats out of my garden?
- Top your soil with a thin layer of sand—gnats crave moisture so this can discourage them
- Water less—this may seem counterproductive, but if your plants can handle longer periods without water, this will help keep the soil dryer (and more off-putting to gnats)
- Hang gnat traps (or fly paper) around the garden
- Remove any moist material or plant material that you can from the garden area (compost bins, pet water bowls, plant trimmings etc.)
- Install electric or flame torches around the garden (to kill the gnats)