How do I jump start a BMW X5?
How do I clip the cables properly to jump start a BMW X5 xDrive35i? My car battery is dead, so my car won’t start. I’ve asked a friend to come by my house to help jump start it, but I’ve never done this before, so I don’t know how.
Fortunately, you are in the comfort of your own home and not stranded on the road!
To jump start your BMW X5, you will need jumper cables with fully-insulated clamp handles. There is always a risk when dealing with electricity, so make sure you always avoid contact with electrical components when the engine is running.
To prepare and connect the jumper cables, follow these steps.
Preparing the vehicles
- Step one: Check if the battery in the other vehicle has a voltage of 12 volts and roughly 12 amp hour (Ah). This information will be printed on the battery.
- Step two: Ensure both vehicles’ engines are turned off.
- Step three: It is important for the two vehicles to not touch or there is a risk of a short circuit. It is equally crucial to be mindful that once the jumper cables are connected to a battery, the red and black ends of the jumper cables should never touch each other.
Connecting the jumper cables to the vehicles
- Step one: On the BMW, pull the tab to fold open the cover of the BMW starting-aid terminal, which acts as the positive terminal. You can identify it by the cover cap marked with a plus sign.
- Step two: Attach the red jumper cable to the positive terminal of the assisting vehicle.
- Step three: Attach the other end of the red jumper cable to the starting-aid terminal (positive terminal battery) of the BMW.
- Step four: Attach one end of the black jumper cable to the negative terminal of the battery of the assisting vehicle.
- Step five: Attach the other end of the black jumper cable to an unpainted surface on the dead car.
- Step six: Start the other car. Let it run for several minutes.
- Step seven: Attempt to start your car. If it doesn’t start, allow the other car to continue to run and charge your battery for several additional minutes. It may take up to 20. After that, try to start your car again.
- Step eight: Once your car is running, disconnect the cables in the opposite order you attached them. If possible, drive your vehicle for at least 20 minutes before turning the engine off again.
There you go—your BMW X5 battery is now charged!
For ultimate peace of mind, consider getting a roadside assistance membership to ensure you’re covered in the event of future car mishaps. With Jerry in your pocket, you’ll never have to worry about being stranded because of a dead battery while on the road. For as low as $4.16 a month, Jerry’s roadside assistance includes jump starts, lockout service, key replacement, and towing.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do I enter a radio code in a 2007 Honda Accord?
How do I put the radio code in my 2007 Honda Accord? The mechanic who worked on my car disconnected the car battery to perform a maintenance procedure. Now I need to reset my radio but I don’t know how to enter the radio code.
Nov 02, 2021
Can you tell me how to get a car when I'm broke?
I lost my job during the pandemic and I don't have a lot of money, but I need a car to get back out and find a job. How do I get a car when I'm broke?
Nov 02, 2021
How can I check my Honda warranty status?
How do I know if I have a warranty on my Honda? I purchased my new vehicle two years ago. I don’t remember how long my coverage period is and I want to double-check so I know.
Nov 02, 2021