How do I jump a diesel truck?
My diesel truck needs a jump. How do I jump it?
To jump a diesel truck, follow the same steps as jumping a gas-powered vehicle. While most diesel trucks do have two batteries, you only need to charge one battery. Since the batteries are parallel, charging one will eventually charge the other.
As long as you have a set of jumper cables, you can jump your truck. To do this you:
- Connect a clamp from the red jumper cable to the positive terminal of your truck marked with a plus sign
- Connect the cable’s second clamp to the other vehicle’s positive terminal
- Connect one of the black cable clamps to the other vehicle’s negative terminal, usually marked with a minus symbol
- Find a piece of unpainted metal on your diesel truck and connect the second black clamp to it
- Start the engine of the other vehicle and let it run
- Turn the ignition key in your truck
- If it doesn’t work, try giving it more time to charge.
- Once the engine turns over, remove the black cables from both vehicles and then the red cables
- Be sure that neither colored cable touches each other or anything else
- Remove each clamp one at a time
After that, your truck should be up and running. Be sure to leave it running for at least 20 minutes to ensure both batteries stay charged.
If you run into battery problems frequently or you want to err on the side of caution, consider adding towing and labor coverage to your car insurance policy. Call your current provider for a quote or use Jerry to search rates from over 50 insurance companies.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do I check the cost of insurance before buying a car?
I want to buy a 2015 Ford Escape. I think I can afford my car payment, but I also need to budget for car insurance. How do I check the cost of insurance before I buy the car?
Oct 19, 2021
How do you load a gun safe into a truck?
I need to transport my gun safe. How do I load it into my truck?
Oct 20, 2021
How do you prevent water spots after a car wash?
What can I do to prevent my car from getting water spots after a car wash? I'm meeting my girlfriend's parents tonight and I want my car to look brand new.
Oct 20, 2021