How do I insure my car in a different state?

I live in Utah, but I have a cabin and a garage in Wyoming. My car spends most of its time in Wyoming, so it seems like a good idea to insure it there. Can I insure my car in a different state if it's garaged there?

Eric Schad · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
“That’s a great question! I’m happy to say that your
car insurance
company may allow you to insure your car in a different state, especially if you spend at least 90 days in another state each year.
However, some providers will require you to have the title and registration in the same state as your insurance. If you keep your car garaged in
, you may have to also register it in the state to obtain insurance.
Whether you register the car in Wyoming or keep it in Utah, you should still shop around to make sure you’re getting the best rate on your coverage! One of the easiest ways to do this is with
—we’ll get you personalized quotes from top-of-the-line providers in seconds so that all you have to do is pick the plan that works best for you.
Best of luck!”
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Browse By Topics

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free