How do I insure my car for a driving test?

I'm borrowing my mom's car for a driving test, but I don't have a license yet. The DMV says I need insurance to take the test—so how does this work? How do I insure the car so I can complete the exam?

Eric Schad · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
In most cases, your parents’ car insurance will cover you temporarily for the driving test—no extra paperwork needed.
Many car insurance policies extend this coverage to allow drivers in the household to temporarily drive the car. This is called a
permissive use
clause, and it’s perfect for allowing you to take your driver’s test.
When you go to the exam, you’ll just need to provide
proof of insurance
. If possible, bringing your mom with you to the exam should smooth over the entire process, as the primary insured name on the policy is present and giving you consent to use the car.
Best of luck on the test—you got this!
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings