How do I insure a car I got as a graduation present?

My mom bought me a brand-new car as a graduation present. The issue is the loan and title are under her name. How can I insure the car under my name?

“That is a fantastic gift, congratulations! Don’t worry, there are ways you can get the car insured.
The most straightforward option is to have your mom add you as a driver to her insurance policy. If you both live in the same household, it will be a quick and easy update. If you live somewhere else, her insurance carrier may allow you to be listed but have the car rated at a separate location.
Another option is to start your own car insurance policy and have your mom listed as a driver. Since her name is on the paperwork, she will have to be part of the policy.
If you’ll be shopping for your first auto insurance policy, get Jerry. An intelligent AI-based tool like Jerry is the easiest and most effective way to find a car insurance policy customized for you. The app shops with over 40 carriers to make sure you get the best rate. “
Shannon Martin
Answered on Apr 29, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies