How do I handle home insurance after the death of the policyholder?

"My dad died recently and left me his house in his will. I’m not sure whether I’ll keep the house or sell it. How do I handle the home insurance for the property? Can my dad’s policy be transferred to me, or do I have to get a new policy in my own name?


Answer provided by
Shannon Martin
Answered on Apr 14, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.
“I am so sorry for your loss. I would consult with the estate attorney as this process can be complicated by certain factors.
Generally, the executor of the estate would notify the insurance company that your dad, the insured, has died.
The policy would not be transferable as it is essentially a contract. Your new policy needs will depend on whether you are planning on residing in, renting out, or selling the home. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies