How do I get the other person's car insurance company to cover all of my accident-related expenses?

"My car was totaled and I have medical bills from the accident. I'm trying to settle with the other driver's car insurance company, but they aren't giving me a straight answer.

I want to know if they'll cover all of my acciden- related costs, and they keep telling me that they'll pay up to the limit. What do I do?"

“Every insurance policy has coverage limits. Since you were injured in an accident, the at-fault driver’s insurance company will pay up to the policy’s bodily injury liability limits. Depending on the limits, your medical costs may not be fully covered.
If you have underinsured motorist coverage or medical payment coverage on your own policy, this can help alleviate some of the costs. If you have health insurance, this should also help reduce your medical bills.
Beyond this, you’ll either need to continue to settle with the other party’s insurance or pursue legal action against the other driver. You can also seek the advice of a lawyer to determine what the best course of action will be. “
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 19, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free