How do I get stains off my car paint?
How can I remove water stains from my car paint? I don’t know where these watermarks came from, but I want to get rid of them. I don’t want to damage the car paint, so I don’t know what materials to use.
Water stains are a result of water droplets that have a higher concentration of minerals. You may find marks left on your car after a rainstorm or even after using tap water to wash your car at home.
The sooner you spot these watermarks and take immediate action, the easier it will be to remove them. To learn how to properly get stains off your car paint, you will need:
- Spray bottle
- Foam applicator pad
- Dual-action machine (optional)
- Microfiber towel
Removing water spots:
- Step one: Wash your vehicle thoroughly with the appropriate materials including a microfiber wash mitt, car shampoo, snow foam cannon, two large buckets, a hose with a nozzle attachment, and large, clean microfiber towels.
- Step two: Create a vinegar/water solution. Mix one part regular white vinegar with one part distilled water. Apply the solution with a spray bottle on targeted areas. Let the mixture work for 10 minutes.
- Step three: Wash off the mixture from the entire car and dry the vehicle to properly remove the solution.
- Step four: Apply car polish with a foam applicator pad to polish the surface. If you are using a dual-action machine with a polishing pad, set the speed to medium. After polishing is complete, use a microfiber towel to buff for a glimmering finish.
With a little bit of elbow grease, your car paint is free from stains!
To be prepared for unexpected situations that require more than just a DIY project to fix, consider getting a roadside assistance membership through Jerry. For as low as $4.16 per month, Jerry’s membership provides you with industry-leading roadside assistance, including benefits like towing, lockout service, and a mechanics hotline.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you keep red squirrels out of your car engine?
Is there any good way for me to keep red squirrels out of my car engine? I found squirrels living in my engine on three different occasions so far. I feel like it’s time for me to start taking preventative measures.
Nov 11, 2021
How do you keep the new car smell in your vehicle?
Is there any way to keep the new car smell in your vehicle after you’ve had it for a while? I really love that smell, but it’s starting to go away. If possible, I’d love to take some steps to keep it around.
Nov 11, 2021
How do you make your car shine without wax?
I want to make my car shine, but I don’t have any wax and don’t know what kind to buy. Is there a way I can make my car shiny without wax?
Nov 11, 2021