How do I get out-of-state car insurance if I'm a college student?

I'm attending college at the University of Idaho in the fall, and I live in Montana. I'm taking my car with me, but I'm not sure if I need to change my car insurance policy—I'm still living in Montana, so is there any way I can keep my out-of-state car insurance?

“Congratulations on starting college! Luckily for you, Idaho allows non-resident college students to keep out-of-state car insurance.
As long as you’re enrolled at a college or university, your Montana car insurance is perfectly fine.
If you graduate or decide to stay in Idaho following your graduation, though, you will have to get an Idaho car insurance policy.
If you do need to shop for car insurance in Idaho, one of the best ways to do that is with Jerry—we’ll get you multiple customized quotes from different providers so that you can simply choose the one that works best for you. Then, when you find one you like, we’ll help with the paperwork and phone calls so you can get back to hitting the books!
Congrats again on starting college, and best of luck with your studies!”
Eric Schad
Answered on Sep 13, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
4.7/5 Rating on App Store