How do I get insurance for all my belongings as someone who travels constantly?

"I travel 99% of the time for my job, so I don't own or rent a home and most of my belongings are kept in a storage unit. The things in storage are covered by insurance that's offered by the storage facility, but the items I carry with me aren't protected. How do I ensure that all my belongings are properly insured?


“With all that travel, that sounds like an exciting job! I am unaware of a standard insurance product that broadly covers personal property as a standalone coverage (separate from a homeowners or renters policy). Some companies offer a standalone personal article floater policy, but this coverage is for rare or valuable belongings that are itemized on an existing policy.
Business travel insurance may provide the coverage that you are looking for. This type of coverage can be purchased online from an independent company. Another option would be to reach out to your employer. See if they have, or can start, a type of reimbursement program for their employees who travel frequently. “
Shannon Martin
Answered on Apr 09, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free