How do I get around the lack of a cooling-off period if I want to return a vehicle?

"I bought a Ford Explorer less than a week ago. I’d like to return it to the dealer, but the dealership doesn’t have a cooling-off period. Is there any way to get around this and get my money back? Would it help if I hire an attorney?


Apr 13, 2021
Answer provided by
Eric Schad
Answered at Apr 13, 2021
“Unfortunately, the federal cooling-off period doesn’t apply to vehicles. Some states, such as California, have a two-day cooling-off period that allows people to return a car (used only) within that time frame. So in your scenario, you have no legal recourse.
In the future, you should work with dealers that offer their own version of a cooling-off period. This is typically a money-back guarantee (less applicable fees) that usually gives you three to seven days to return the vehicle if you’re not satisfied. If you consistently suffer from cold feet, this should be at the top of your priority list. “
Car Buying

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies