How do I fix the musty smell coming out of my car's a/c?
Are there any good ways to fix the musty smell in my car’s air conditioning? Every time I fire up the air conditioner, a musty smell comes out. It’s strong enough that I don’t even like driving anymore.
Eric Schad · Answered on Nov 08, 2021
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
Musty smells coming from your A/C are less than ideal, but fear not! There are a few ways you can fix the musty smell in your a/c like changing the cabin filter or spraying an odor eliminator.
To change your cabin air filter:
- **Remove the glove box by lifting it out of its slot. You may need to take out a few screws first.
- Once you pull out the glove box, you should see the air filter.
- Snap the air filter out of its spot and replace it with a new one—you can find which type of filter you need in the owner’s manual.
- Replace the glove box.
If replacing the filter doesn’t solve your problem, spray an odor eliminator in your car:
- Start by turning your air conditioner to high and running it for a minute.
- Spray the odor eliminator in and around your vents.
- Use your owner’s manual to locate your intake vents—they’ll usually be outside your car by the windshield wipers.
- Spray the odor eliminator into the intake vents.
- Open your windows and keep the air conditioner on to let it air out.
Congratulations! Your car should now smell fresh and clean! If it doesn’t, have a professional check it out. Mechanics can be pricey, but it’s better to pay than drive around in a smelly car.
If you’re worried about the cost of repairs, offset the price by saving on car insurance with Jerry. A licensed broker, the Jerry app helps you find and compare quotes from over 50 top providers in minutes. All you need to do is pick the plan you want, and Jerry can help you switch providers and cancel your old policy!
View full answer
WHY YOU CAN TRUST JERRY
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.
Browse More Content
Insurance in Your State
What Others Are Asking
How do I fix a ding in my car door?
I opened my car door and inadvertently hit the support pole in my garage. It left a bit of a ding, but it’s nothing too serious. Can I fix the ding in my car door on my own, or should I take my car to the auto body?
Nov 08, 2021
How do I turn off the interior car lights with the door open?
We are doing a flash mob dance for my sister’s bachelorette party. We need to get out of the car and into position without being seen in our costumes. How do I turn off the interior car lights with the door open?
Nov 08, 2021
How do I fix a detached car window?
I tried to roll up my window today, and the glass didn’t move at all. I can still hear the car window motor running, so I think I need to reattach it to the mechanism. What should I do to fix a detached car window?
Nov 08, 2021
Read Advice From Car Experts At Jerry
2014 BMW M5 0-60 Time
Feeling the need for speed? The 2014 BMM M5 0-60 time is 3.9 seconds—but can it keep up with its biggest rivals?