How do I fix the car roof lining in my vehicle?
I have an older model vehicle and the lining along the ceiling has started to sag. I’ve already done the pushpin method to fix the problem, but I’m not really sold on the look. How do I fix the issue?
The pushpin method to fix your car’s ceiling lining is a classic! However, it isn’t as aesthetically pleasing as a permanent fix. Fortunately, fixing your car roof lining typically takes only one to three hours.
You have two tried-and-true options:
- A steam cleaner and a paint roller
- Spray adhesive
The spray adhesive method is the preferred option of most used car enthusiasts and professionals, simply because it’s the most effective option.
To use a spray adhesive, follow these steps:
- Use a drill to remove all hardware in the ceiling (dome light cover, grab handles, and sun visors).
- Lift out the ceiling panel.
- Remove the fabric from the panel.
- At this point, you can decide whether you want to keep the same lining or buy some fabric from a hobby store.
- Use a can of spray adhesive on the panel and then push the fabric into place, cutting and adjusting as necessary if you decide to purchase new fabric.
- Let dry and then reinstall the panel and the hardware.
If you want a more frugal option, grab a handheld steam cleaner and a paint roller.
- Heat sagging areas to make the glue more adhesive
- Use the paint roller to push it back into place
- Make sure to remove any wrinkles as you go across the fabric
As you care about your car, consider adding a roadside assistance membership with Jerry as well. Jerry’s roadside assistance membership protects you with its nationwide network of 55,000+ service providers for as low as $4.16 a month.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
Do you need car insurance to get a title loan?
I want to do my Christmas shopping early this year to avoid the stress of buying gifts at the last minute, but I don’t have quite enough saved up yet. I have a truck I only use for property maintenance that I want to use to take out a title loan. However, the truck doesn’t have insurance. Do I need insurance to get a title loan?
Nov 05, 2021
How do I get rid of the oxidation on my headlights?
I bought a used car, but I noticed the headlights were dim when driving at night. The headlights appear to have a film on them, which I’ve researched as being oxidation. How do I get rid of it?
Nov 05, 2021
How do I fix the AC in my car if it’s not blowing cold air?
The last few times I’ve been in my car, I’ve turned on the air conditioner and only hot air blows out. What can I do to fix the problem?
Nov 05, 2021