How do I fix rust holes in my car using fiberglass?
How should I go about fixing rust holes in my Trans Am with fiberglass? I’m fixing up a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am, and I need to get rid of some rusty areas. I’ve read that you can use fiberglass to fix rusty spots.
Rust can be a pain, especially on otherwise sleek cars! But try not to worry. Repairing rust spots with fiberglass is fairly easy when you know what you’re doing. But if you’re a beginner, follow these steps to get it done:
- Use a surface sander to remove the rust using 80-grit sandpaper—wear a respirator.
- Make sure you sand it down to the metal (use a die grinder if needed).
- Remove any particularly resistant rust with a chemical rust remover, then let it dry.
- Sand the rusty spot again with low grit sandpaper to scuff up the surface. This will allow the fiberglass to bond more easily to the car.
- Mix together your fiberglass paste and a resin hardener.
- Quickly apply it to the surface of your car until it’s about even with the surrounding area.
- Let it dry.
- Sand the resin until it matches the contours of the vehicle.
- Apply new layers of resin and sand them down as needed.
- Once the repaired area matches the surrounding area, sand it with a fine-grit sandpaper.
- Paint the sanded area.
Congratulations, you just successfully repaired rusted areas on your Trans Am! Remember, you’ll need to insure your car before you get it on the road. And **classic car coverage can be expensive.
To make sure you’re getting the best rate on the coverage you want, try Jerry. A licensed broker, the Jerry app can help you find and compare quotes from over 50 top providers in minutes. Jerry can even send you new quotes when your policy comes up for renewal—so you always know you’re getting the best rate.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do I clean gum off leather car seats?
Please help! I took my nieces and nephews out for the weekend, and apparently, they were chewing gum in my new car! Now I have sour apple watermelon bubble gum all over my Italian leather seats. How do I clean gum off leather car seats?
Nov 08, 2021
How do I fix a ripped cloth car seat?
My son put his feet up on my backseats while he was wearing soccer cleats. When he left the car, he tore a giant hole in the cloth seats. Is there any way for me to fix badly ripped cloth car seats?
Nov 08, 2021
How do I fix peeling car buttons on my steering wheel and stereo?
What's the best way to fix peeling car buttons on my dashboard? I’ve had the same car for 10 years, and I still love it. Unfortunately, the paint/plastic is starting to peel away from some of the control buttons.
Nov 08, 2021