How do I fix my car's interior paint that's peeling?
After almost a decade, the interior paint in my 2011 Subaru is peeling. How can I fix this myself?
“You can repair your car’s interior peeling at home!
All you need is a few supplies and an hour to work.
Your insurance probably won’t cover this type of wear-and-tear, so it’s best to try to fix it yourself!
Make sure you have sandpaper, spray primer, and dye that matches the color of the damaged piece.
- You will want to remove the damaged piece, if possible. Doing the repair outside of the vehicle will give you the best results. Once you’ve removed the peeling piece, sand it down until the rubberized surface is removed.
- Once it has been completely sanded, apply primer using the spray bottle. You will need to apply multiple light coats. Let the primer dry for twenty minutes before doing the next step.
- Once dry, use wet sandpaper to smooth and even the primer. Be sure to only apply light pressure.
- Finally, apply multiple coats of dye so the piece matches the rest of the car. Use a vacuum to speed up drying time between coats of dye.
- Replace the piece, and your car should be good as new!
Reinvesting in something that’s provided for you for ten years shows a lot of care! Since you’re investing in your car, it’s a good time to make sure you’re getting the best car insurance rates. Rates change over time, and if you haven’t compared rates with other companies, you could be overpaying. Try using the free Jerry app to pull quotes from the top providers and get the best deals sent to your phone in minutes.”
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do I donate a car to Goodwill?
I just purchased a new vehicle and want to get rid of my old vehicle. It's a 2004 Mitsubishi and it runs fine. I thought the best option would be to donate the car. How do I donate a car to Goodwill?
Aug 20, 2021
How do I dye my cloth car seats?
My Volvo has cloth seats, which have become stained and ugly over the last few years. I decided it's time to dye them to help them look new again. How do I dye my cloth car seats?
Aug 20, 2021
What is the minimum car insurance requirement for Florida?
What's the minimum amount of car insurance I need in Florida? My partner and I retired here a couple of years ago and have loved the warmer weather, but the car insurance rates are starting to make our budget too tight for us to live comfortably.
Sep 16, 2021