How do I deal with an incorrect speeding ticket on my record?

I haven't owned a car in six years and recently purchased one. When I spoke with my insurance carrier, they said my rates would be high due to a speeding ticket on my motorbike. While I've gotten a few tickets on my bike before, it's never been for speeding. Is there anything I can do?

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Apr 21, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“If there is a ticket or citation showing up incorrectly on your motor vehicle report, the best thing to do is contact your state’s DMV.
All car insurance companies pull your driving record when rating your policy. There could have been an error and it’s important to follow up on anything that may not be correct. Fixing any incorrect information now can save you money in the long run.
Once it’s cleared up, you may be able to get your policy re-rated with your current insurance company. You can also shop around to see if you can find more affordable coverage. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies