How do I change the shift solenoid in a Ford F-150?
My transmission has been shifting funny. After speaking with a few friends who know cars well, I think I’ve identified the problem. How do I install a new shift solenoid myself in my Ford F-150?
Matthew Macgugan · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
Sorry to hear that you’re having issues with your transmission. Replacing the shift solenoid in a Ford F-150 will take between four and seven hours of work. So before jumping in, I recommend having your transmission
checked by a mechanicto make sure the solenoid is the issue.
Once you’ve confirmed and are ready to perform the repair, you’ll need the following supplies:
- New shift solenoid
- Transmission fluid
- Gasket and fuel cover
- A bin to catch fluid drippings
- A ratchet or socket wrench set
Follow these directions to replace the solenoid:
- Remove the drain plug to drain the fluid from your transmission. You can find the drain plug at the bottom of the fluid pan. Place your fluid catch bin under the plug and use a ratchet with the appropriate socket to remove the drain nut. Reinstall the drain plug after the fluid has completely drained.
- Use your socket wrench to remove the screws holding the drain pan in place. Clean any leftover fluid and clear the magnet filter of debris.
- Remove the fluid pan gasket and locate the shift solenoid. Once the gasket is taken off, it will expose the solenoids on the valve body. They will have wires attached and might be grouped or separated depending on whether you have a manual or automatic transmission.
- Locate and remove the faulty solenoid following the error code during the diagnostic read. Use a ratchet and socket to remove the solenoid and unplug the attached wiring.
- Install the new solenoid in the slot using the screws you removed from the old solenoid. Reconnect the wiring and ensure it is functioning by connecting an external power lead to its power prongs.
- Replace the fluid pan and screw in all bolts securely. Then, refill the transmission fluid to its required level. Turn on the engine and use the dipstick to confirm the fluid is at the correct level. Add more if needed.
- Clear check engine error codes using an OBD tool.
While you’re caring for your car, take a minute to review your car insurance to make sure you have the coverage you need and aren’t overpaying for it. Download the
Jerryapp to compare personalized quotes from over 50 of the nation’s leading providers, including Nationwide, Allstate, and Travelers. The average Jerry user saves $879 a year on car insurance!
View full answer
WHY YOU CAN TRUST JERRY
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.
Browse More Content
Car Repair Resources
Insurance in Your State
What Others Are Asking
What will my car loan rate be based on my credit score?
I’m in the market for a new or used car, but I don’t want to pay too much in interest. I know that car loan interest rates are based on credit scores, but I don’t know how much impact they have. What car loan rate can I expect based on various credit scores?
Is a 60-month car loan bad?
I’m shopping around for a car loan and I want to balance a decent interest rate with low monthly payments. I’ve read that 48 months is the optimal car loan length, but the 60-month option seems to fit my budget a bit better. Is there anything wrong with getting a 60-month car loan?
How do you sell your car with a loan?
How do you sell your car when you have a loan? I’ve been struggling for five months to stay on top of my monthly loan payments. I’ve decided that I want to sell my car so I can put the money toward paying off other debt.
Read Advice From Car Experts At Jerry
Will GEICO add Rental Reimbursement to my Policy After an Accident?
GEICO offers rental reimbursement coverage to policyholders with comprehensive and collision coverage—but you’ll need to purchase it before your accident for it to apply.
How To Build a Custom Toyota FJ Cruiser
From factory options to off-road upgrades, here are the best ways to build a custom Toyota FJ Cruiser.
Browse By Topics
Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free
No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies