How do I change a Honda battery?
I was getting the oil changed on my Honda Fit today and the mechanic told me that I’m going to need a new battery soon. I know that I can save money by replacing the battery myself, but I just don’t know how to do it. How can I change a Honda battery?
- Park on a flat, level surface. Make sure the engine is off.
- Pop the hood of your Honda.
- Look for the battery. It’s a large block that’s usually on the far-most right or left side of the engine compartment. If you can’t locate it, check your owner’s manual.
- First, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, which is marked with a minus sign.
- Next, disconnect the positive terminal, which is marked with a plus sign.
- Pull out the old battery. It may be secured in place, so you might need a wrench or screwdriver to remove it.
- Put the new battery in place and secure it the same way as the old battery.
- Attach the positive terminal first, followed by the negative. Make sure they’re sufficiently tight.
- Firmly shut the hood of your Honda.
- Fire up the engine to test the new battery.