How do I add oil to a car AC compressor?
I’m servicing my air compressor to make my HVAC system colder. I know I’m supposed to add oil, but I’m a little unclear on some of the details. What steps should I take to add oil to my car AC compressor?
Servicing your air compressor is a great way to keep your AC in top condition! But before you start adding any oil, make sure you drain any oil currently in the system. After that, you can follow these steps to refill your compressor with the correct amount of oil:
- Remove the compressor from the vehicle. There should be four bolts that attach the compressor to the vehicle. Unscrew them, then disconnect the wires, pipes, and belts to free the compressor.
- Clean out the old fluid. There should be a valve on the rear of the compressor. Unscrew it to let the old oil flow out.
- Add new oil. Check your owner’s manual to see how much oil your specific compressor needs to function. Use a funnel to power the oil into the hole you drained the old oil from. Then, replace and tighten the cap.
- Reattach the compressor to the vehicle. Reconnect all the wires, tubes, and connectors you previously removed, and replace the bolts.
- Cycle the belts on the compressor to ensure the oil cycles properly.
- Recharge the AC unit with a reclaimer machine.
Just like that, you should have ice-cold AC again!
While you’re enjoying the cool air in your cabin, take a minute to save on car insurance with Jerry. A licensed broker, the Jerry app can help you compare personalized quotes from over 50 top providers like Progressive and Nationwide for free. When you find a better plan, Jerry can help you buy your new coverage and even help cancel your old policy.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do I change the car headlight bulb in my Toyota Corolla?
The passenger low-beam headlight bulb in my 2006 Corolla stopped working the other night. What steps should I take to change the headlight bulb in my car?
Nov 23, 2021
How much to ship a car to Jamaica?
My son just moved to Jamaica to start a business, but he needs a car. I’d like to send one to him, but I don’t know if I can. What would it cost me to ship a car to Jamaica?
Nov 23, 2021
How much transmission fluid does a car hold?
I’m preparing to change out the fluids in my vehicle, but I don’t know how much to buy of each different fluid. What’s a standard amount of transmission fluid for a car to hold?
Nov 23, 2021