How do car dealerships rip you off?
I’m about to go buy a new car from a dealership and have heard bad stories about how they manipulate you. What are some things I should know to avoid being ripped off?
Car dealerships are one of the most intimidating places to go if you’re unprepared. It’s very smart you’re asking what you should know! Follow these steps to avoid feeling ripped off by the car dealership:
- Keep your budget in mind at all times and don’t deviate. Considering telling them less than your actual budget as you may end up with a better deal.
- Look out for higher financing costs. If you plan on financing through the dealership, know their rates may be higher than a bank or credit union.
- Be aware of extra add ons and extended warranties. These can be an opportunity to upsell you. Be aware of what you’re agreeing to and ensure it fits within your budget.
- Take your time. A salesperson may try to rush you into a decision, but make sure you’ve carefully reviewed everything before agreeing to purchase a car.
- Shop around. Look at multiple dealerships. Every dealership will offer different discounts, deals, or financing, so it’s important to explore your options.
- Always be prepared to walk. If something seems off or you aren’t happy with the terms, it’s okay to walk away! Walking away is a great way to negotiate and can protect you from a bad deal.
By following these steps, you should find a car that meets your needs without being ripped off by a dealership.
Once you get that new car, Jerry is the perfect app to help you insure it. Jerry makes it easy to find the best insurance policy for your new car! Choose from competitive quotes from up to 50 top insurance companies and Jerry takes care of the rest. The average Jerry user saves $879 a year on car insurance.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you remove coffee stains from your car carpet?
This morning I had a coffee mishap on the way to work and well, I need to know how to remove a stain from my carpet. What’s the best method?
Oct 29, 2021
How do you remove sticker resider from car paint?
I just bought a used car, and though I love it, there’s a spot on the trunk door that clearly used to have a sticker there. How do I remove the remaining residue?
Oct 29, 2021
How do I tell how many cylinders my car has?
My friends at the bar were talking about cylinders in their cars. I had no idea what they meant. How do I check to see how many mine has?
Oct 29, 2021