How complicated is it to get a hardship license as a minor in Texas?

I am 16 years old and due to the driving age limit in Texas, I am not able to get a full-fledged driver's license yet. Since my dad was laid off from work, I work a part-time job to help out with the bills and stuff. My buddy just quit and I can't get a ride to work like I used to. I need to be able to drive myself and I don't want to do it illegally; is there any way for me to get a hardship license?

“You and your family are in a tough situation, but it is amazing that you can help them out!
Texas created the MRDL (minor restricted driver license) for cases such as this.
The MRDL allows eligible drivers between the ages of 15-18 to drive without an adult present.
To qualify, you must:
  • still be in school.
  • prove your family would suffer financially if you cannot drive yourself to work.
  • complete a driver education course.
  • have a parent or guardian’s permission.
The cost to apply for the hardship license is only $25.
In order to apply, you will need the MRDL application, ITTD form (Impact Texas Teen Drivers), and a signed form showing that the driver’s ed program has been completed.
Contact your local DMV for complete instructions and guidance through this process.
Keep in mind that you will have to pay for car insurance. As a teen driver, your insurance is naturally going to be higher than an experienced adult’s rates. It’ll make the financial situation hard, but not impossible, especially if you use the Jerry app. Jerry will shop for the best car insurance rates for you for free.”
Shannon Martin
Answered on Aug 25, 2021

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free