How can you tighten a car’s handbrake?
I drive a car with a manual transmission, so my parking brake gets a lot of use, but I’ve noticed recently that the lever needs to be pulled up a lot before the brake actually engages. How can you tighten a car’s handbrake?
As you know, the handbrake in a manual car is incredibly important, so if it’s feeling loose or having trouble engaging, the issue needs to be resolved immediately. The good news is that tightening a handbrake isn’t too tricky.
Before you can tighten the brake, you should gather the following:
- Plastic pry tool
- Owner’s manual
- Socket wrench
Once you have all your materials:
- Engage the handbrake. Count the number of clicks until it is engaged and compare to the recommended number in the owner’s manual. If it is above the recommended amount, continue onto the next step.
- Remove the handbrake trim using the plastic pry tool and screwdriver to expose the brake’s inner workings. Each vehicle is different, so if you’re having trouble, consult your owner’s manual.
- Adjust the brake by using your socket wrench to tighten the adjustment bolt.
- Check the handbrake and continue to adjust until appropriately tightened.
- Reinstall the handbrake trim.
- Test the handbrake by engaging the brake on a hill or by trying to push your vehicle.
As you can see, adjusting the handbrake yourself is easy and saves you a potentially costly visit to the mechanic. If you’re looking for other ways to save some money, look no further than your car insurance.
Save money on car insurance with the Jerry app. A licensed broker, Jerry does all the hard work of finding cheap quotes from up to 50 of the top name-brand insurance companies and buying new car insurance. Jerry will even help you cancel your old policy!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do I tint car windows without film?
I heard that tint can help keep your car cool in the summer, but I don’t want to put the film over my windows. Is there any good way for me to tint car windows without film?
Nov 24, 2021
Can you refinance your car loan with the same company?
Can I refinance my loan with the same lender? I want to refinance my existing loan, so I can get a better rate. It seems easier to stick to the same lender to do this.
Nov 24, 2021
How do you transport a car on a trailer?
My wife and I are in the process of moving, and I borrowed a friend’s trailer to transport an old sports car to our new house, but I’m not entirely sure how to load it onto the trailer. How do you transport a car on a trailer?
Nov 24, 2021