How can you get out of a car title loan?
I took out a car title loan a little while back and I’ve struggled to repay it since the first month. I’ve extended the term four or five times now and I have no idea how I’m ever going to be able to pay it back. How can I get out of a title loan?
I’m sorry to hear about your situation! Unfortunately, getting out of a car title loan is notoriously difficult, but you have options, including refinancing, other loans, or borrowing money from relatives.
You can get out of the loan agreement by:
- Using a personal loan. Personal loans typically have longer repayment terms, lower interest rates, and won’t repossess your vehicle for a missed payment, making them a great option to pay off the title loan.
- Using a credit card. Paying the car title loan off using a credit card essentially shifts who holds the debt. The interest rate on your credit card is likely lower and you won’t have to worry about losing your vehicle.
- Refinancing the debt. When you refinance, a new lender will take control of the debt, can offer better terms and may not require your car as collateral.
- Defaulting or surrendering. If you can afford to lose your vehicle, this is an option. Just keep in mind that if the title loan company reports the surrender, it can have a drastically negative impact on your credit score.
- Filing for bankruptcy. While less than ideal, this may be a good option if you have a lot of debt. Again, this may drop your credit score by 100 or more points.
Regardless of how you proceed or get out of the title loan, saving money on other expenses can make the repayment more manageable.
If you want to save money on car insurance, the Jerry app is a good place to start. As a licensed broker, Jerry helps you find and compare quotes from over 50 top providers in minutes. When you find a better rate, Jerry can help you buy your new coverage and even cancel your old policy! The average Jerry user saves $879 a year on car insurance.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
What will the interest rate on a car title loan be?
I’ve been contemplating a car title loan to afford Christmas presents this year. I know the interest rate is steep. But how much should I expect for the interest rate on a car title loan?
Nov 30, 2021
How can you get your title after paying off a car loan?
I finally finished paying off my car loan last week, and I’m looking to sell the vehicle soon. How do I get my car title back after I pay off a loan?
Nov 30, 2021
How do you get your car title after paying off the loan?
After four years and not a single missed payment, I finally finished paying off my car loan. My car was the first sizable financed purchase I made, and I’m excited to own the vehicle officially. How do I get my car title after paying the loan?
Nov 30, 2021