How can you get a car to pass an emissions test?
My car inspection and emissions test is coming up and I want to make sure that it passes without any problems. How can I get my car ready to pass an emissions test?
Preparing your car for an emissions test is a good way to keep the vehicle in good condition, avoid any potential fines, and avoid having to redo the test.
Before you go to get the test done, you should do the following:
- Make sure the check engine light is off or have the vehicle serviced beforehand if the light is on.
- Drive on the highway. The catalytic converter naturally cleans itself out at high speeds, so doing this a few times in the weeks leading up to the emissions test is a smart idea.
- Get a fresh oil change to ensure the engine is running smoothly.
- Have the vehicle tuned before the test to make sure the air-fuel mixture is not too rich.
- Properly inflate your tires to increase fuel efficiency and take some stress off your engine.
- Check all the fluid levels to make sure the engine has everything it needs and can run efficiently.
- Clean the engine system using a high-quality fuel system cleaner that contains polyether amine.
- Get a mock inspection done before the actual emissions test to see if you’re expected to pass.
If you have a regular car maintenance schedule, you should hopefully be ready to pass the emissions test without issue. But if you are concerned about passing and are not sure how to perform all the above services, you should ask your mechanic to get the car ready.
While waiting for the emissions test to be completed, why not download the Jerry app to compare car insurance quotes from up to 50 insurance companies and ensure you are not overpaying? Jerry has agents ready to answer any questions you may have and can even help cancel your old policy!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you change a cabin air filter in a Toyota Tacoma?
I’ve owned my truck for a few years now and the heat and air conditioning just aren’t blowing as strong as they used to. The cab of my truck has a bit of a musty smell, too. I want to change my cabin air filter but I’m not sure where to start. What's the easiest way to change the cabin air filter in a Toyota Tacoma?
Oct 25, 2021
How do you change the power steering fluid in a Toyota Corolla?
The steering in my Toyota Corolla has been feeling a bit stiff lately. I think I may need to change my power steering fluid. How can I change the power steering fluid?
Oct 25, 2021
How do you transfer a car loan?
I’m moving to New York City soon and will no longer need my car. My aunt and uncle offered to buy it off me for their son who is about to turn 16 years old. The car has a loan left on it still, which they have agreed to take over. But how do you transfer a car loan?
Oct 25, 2021