How can international students get car insurance?

I am in the US on a student visa and I will need a car to get around. How can I get car insurance?

“Many car insurance companies accept a foreign driver’s license or an International Driving Permit, which allows international students to get car insurance.
After a year of living in the United States, you should strongly consider getting a driver’s license in your state to lower your premiums.
However, every state has different requirements for obtaining a license and insurance. Contact your local DMV to find out more.
Once you have the proper documentation, check car insurance quotes online to find the best rate possible.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 29, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free