How can I replace the Toyota emblem on my steering wheel?
Is there any way to remove the Toyota emblem from my steering wheel? I want to paint it.
To remove and replace the Toyota emblem on your steering wheel will involve three main steps: first, disassembling the airbag and horn; second, removing the horn and airbag components from the plastic shell; and third, separating the emblem from the wheel.
Here’s how to do it:
- First, disconnect the negative battery cable and wait for five minutes. Then, using a pry tool, take off the trapezoidal cover plates on either side of the steering wheel and use a Torx screwdriver to loosen the screws.
- Gently pull up on the horn and airbag assembly until you expose the bottom and the three wires and connectors. Using a flat-head screwdriver, pop up the yellow clamp fastener on the orange and black wire connectors.
- Using pliers, remove the black wire. You should then be able to remove the assembly unit and take it to a workstation.
- On the back, you should see three Torx-head screws and four 8-millimeter nuts. Using a ratchet, carefully remove the nuts only, then separate the horn depress from the horn and airbag unit.
- Now you’ll need to remove the airbag, which is attached with six metal prongs. Using a pry tool, loosen the top two tabs first, one prong at a time. You might need multiple pry tools to hold each prong in place as you move on to the next one.
- Once you’ve loosened the top, left, and right side prongs, you should be able to lift the final two by tilting the airbag modular box downward. At this point, you’re ready to remove the emblem.
- There should be 11 small plastic button welds on the backside, holding the emblem to the shell. To pop them off, you can use a sharpened chisel. Then, using a pry tool, you should be able to snap out the emblem and start painting.
Customizing your car can be a lot of work, but saving money on car insurance shouldn’t be. The Jerry app makes it easy to find out if you’re overpaying and get a better deal. A licensed broker that offers end-to-end support, the Jerry app gathers affordable quotes, helps you switch plans, and will even help you cancel your old policy.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you check Tesla service history?
How do you check a Tesla's service history? My friend said I could check it online or through the Tesla app, but I'm having trouble figuring it out.
Oct 28, 2021
How do you remove sticker gum from a car body?
How can I remove sticker gum from a car body? I put a bumper sticker on my car a while ago, and I'm trying to take it off before I sell my car.
Oct 28, 2021
How much does it cost to make your car bulletproof?
What will it cost to make your car bulletproof? There were some drive-by shootings on the route I take to work, and I'm worried. If it's affordable, I think bulletproofing my car would help me feel safer on the drive.
Oct 28, 2021