How can I replace a car door handle?
While I was getting out of my car the other day, I accidentally snapped the interior handle. Ironically, it happened while I was headed to the gym, and a few people in the parking lot got to watch me try and climb over my center console and passenger seat. So, how can I replace a car door handle?
- A replacement car handle
- Socket wrench
- Plastic pry tool
- Remove the interior door panel by removing the screws, bolts, and fasteners holding it in place. If you’re having trouble, consult your owner’s manual. Remember that some screws may be hidden under the removal trim.
- Remove the broken handle and all the internal mechanisms you are replacing. There may be additional screws or wiring that have to be removed or disconnected.
- Install the new handle and mechanisms by reversing the previous step.
- Loosely reinstall the interior door panel and make sure that both the interior and exterior handles work correctly.
- Secure the interior door panel by tightening all the screws, bolts, and fasteners you previously undid and then reinstall any trim pieces you removed.