How can I remove decals from my car without ruining the paint?
I just bought a used car and the bumper has a few decals on it that I’d like to remove. Typically, I wouldn’t mind, but it seems the previous owner and I disagree on which football team is best and I can’t be caught in my hometown with a rival’s bumper sticker. How can I remove these decals without ruining the paint?
- Soap that is safe for the car
- A hair dryer (or some hot water if you do not own a blow dryer)
- A glue removal product or vinegar
- Car wax
- First, clean the area with soapy water.
- Then, heat the area using a blow dryer or by pouring hot water over the decal. If you use hot water, you will likely need to do a few rounds of pouring the hot water over the decal.
- Next, peel the decal off. If heated enough, the decal should start coming right off, but you may want to use a plastic card (like an old rewards card) to help you peel it off. Avoid using anything metal or you may scratch the car’s paint.
- Finally, use glue removal or vinegar to remove any residual glue left behind and apply a fresh coat of wax to protect the paint.