"How can I make sure my friend is covered to drive my car during a road trip? "

Me and my friend are going on a cross-country road trip this summer for a few weeks. He doesn't have his own insurance and I don't want my policy to increase if he has an accident with my car. Can he get his own insurance for when he drives my car on this trip?

Answer provided by
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 06, 2021
Auto insurance follows the vehicle, so if your car is the one being driven on the road trip, it will be your insurance that kicks in to provide coverage, no matter what kind of insurance your friend has.
In this situation, your friend would have “”permissive use”” of your car. Anyone who has your permission to drive the car would be a covered driver.
If your friend does get his own car insurance policy, your policy will pay for the accident first, and then his policy will pay for any overages once your policy limits have been exhausted.
The only way to make sure your policy isn’t impacted would be to rent a vehicle for your road trip together. This way, you can both be listed on the rental car insurance, and the payout for a potential accident would stem from the rental agency, not from your carrier. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies