How can I make an at-fault driver pay my deductible?

I got into an accident and it was the other driver's fault. They are refusing to pay for my insurance deductible and told me that my attorney needs to contact her for anything further. How can I make them pay? Should I move forward with legal action?

Apr 21, 2021
Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered at Apr 21, 2021
“If you haven’t done this already, you need to contact your car insurance company directly. After accidents or claims, the insurance carriers involved should be handling everything, not the drivers.
Since the other driver was at-fault, their insurance company is responsible for any damage to your vehicle. You shouldn’t be required to pay your deductible. If you do, their insurance should reimburse you for it.
Having valid insurance means that you are protected in situations like this. Your insurance company will also handle any legal proceedings, if necessary. You should not move forward with legal action until you’ve been advised to do so. “
Car Insurance

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies