How can I keep squirrels out of the garden?
I’m getting into sustainable living and have been researching growing vegetables. I’ve just planted a bunch of vegetables and herbs in my garden, but I keep seeing squirrels digging in the dirt! How do I keep them out?
Andrea Barrett · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
Having animals crawl through and destroy your gardens can be frustrating! There are plenty of humane and natural ways to get rid of squirrels. Some of the best methods to keep squirrels out of the garden are using netting, hot peppers, planting squirrel repellant flowers, or using peppermint essential oil.
Here’s a complete list of options to try:
- Use apple cider vinegar: Make a DIY repellant with apple cider vinegar, peppermint oil, or cayenne pepper, and spray it near your plants.
- Try peppermint oil: Peppermint oil is safe for plants and animals, but it tends to keep squirrels away. Sprinkle some of the oil on the plant leaves and in the soil.
- Plant squirrel-repellant flower: Daffodils, snowdrops, hyacinths, and marigolds are great flowers to keep away squirrels, which dislike allium plants. Avoid tulips, crocuses, and geraniums, as they tend to attract squirrels.
- Install sprinklers: If you can find motion-detector sprinklers, use them! Squirrels are skittish, and the sprinkler will scare them off when they come too close.
- Cover your gardens: Although it may be a pain, covering your gardens with chicken wire or mesh prevents any small animals from entering but allows sunlight and water.
- Add hot peppers: Squirrels dislike the taste and smell of hot peppers, and it’s a natural and safe way to keep them out of your garden! Sprinkle some cayenne pepper, hot sauce, or chilli pepper flakes on the soil, or grow hot peppers—the squirrels won’t touch them!
Keeping squirrels out of your garden may be a challenge, but did you know that you can find cheap car insurance without the challenge when you use
Jerry? As the no.1 rated car insurance app in the App Store, Jerry scans over 50 top insurers to get you the coverage you need at the most affordable price.
No lengthy phone calls, no back-and-forth emails, and no insane spending. And the best part? The average Jerry user saves more than $800 a year on car insurance!
Now, if only keeping squirrels out of the garden was that easy…
View full answer
WHY YOU CAN TRUST JERRY
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.
Browse More Content
Car Repair Resources
Insurance in Your State
What Others Are Asking
What is a Smart Car’s top speed?
I’m looking at getting a smaller vehicle and the Smart Car is good on gas. But I also want my car to be able to go fast when I need it to. How fast does the Smart Car go?
What is the best route from Vegas to Lake Tahoe?
My husband wants a party vacation, but I want a nature vacation, so we’re making the best of both worlds with one big road trip! What’s the best way to get to Lake Tahoe from Las Vegas?
What size are Tesla Model 3 hubcaps?
The hubcaps on my boyfriend’s Tesla Model 3 are pretty scratched up and dull looking. His birthday is coming up and I thought surprising him with some fresh ones would be a great gift. What size hubcaps come on the Tesla Model 3?
Read Advice From Car Experts At Jerry
How to Get a West Virginia Learner’s Permit
Once you turn 15, you’re eligible to apply for a WV learner’s permit. Here’s how you’ll need to prepare for the DMV.
Rental Car Liability in California, Explained
California requires you to meet the minimum liability coverage when you rent a car. If your personal auto policy isn’t enough, purchase additional insurance.
Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free
No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies