How can I keep dogs out of the garden?
My family has just adopted a one-year-old dog, and she keeps running through my gardens and peeing on everything! I’ve found several plants squished and I don’t want the entire garden destroyed. How can I keep her out?
Answer provided by
That’s exciting you’ve just adopted a new dog—but not so exciting she’s trampling your plants! The best way to keep dogs out of the garden is to create physical barriers that prevent them from entering. If you’re able to build a fence around the area you want to protect—either with small gauge chicken wire or mesh netting—your dog won’t be able to run through, unless they’re a jumper.
Here are some other options for keeping dogs out of the garden:
- Make things spicy or stinky: Like most creatures, dogs don’t like spicy or overly smelly things—use that to your advantage. Sprinkle some mustard powder or red pepper flakes around your garden bed. When they approach and sniff, (hopefully) they’ll take off right away. Dogs also aren’t keen on the smell of vinegar, which can be poured on the surrounding dirt—just make sure it won’t interfere with the health of your soil.
- Use a motion-activated sprinkler: Most dogs aren’t fans of water, so it can be a great way to keep them away from your gardens.
- Invest in training: Sufficient training is beneficial for all dogs, but working hard to help them learn the “NO zones” could go a long way. Using a command like “nope” followed by guiding out of the area may help over time. But be consistent with your commands!
- Make a container garden: If you’ve tried everything and your pooch still thinks the garden is a fun zone, consider planting in containers or raised garden beds they can’t access.
- Reward the good: If your dog obeys your commands and refrains from entering the garden, make sure you reward them! Most dogs do well with food-based training and they’ll catch on to what you want faster if they know they’re getting treated.
If you’re looking for the best outdoor tips and the best savings on car insurance, Jerry has your back. As the no.1 rated car insurance app in the App Store, Jerry scans over 50 top insurers to get you the best deals. Sign up in less than 45 seconds and browse through the most competitive quotes. Once you find the right policy, finalize the details with an agent and cancel your existing policy within seconds! It’s the easiest way to save more than $800 a year on car insurance!
Here to save on car and home insurance? Great, you do that. We’ll do everything else.
Sign up in under a minute.
No need to fill out forms or shop around. Sign up in 45 seconds to start saving. Jerry does the rest.
Jerry collects and analyzes your current coverage.
Say hello to Jerry, your new insurance agent. We’ll contact your insurance company, review your current plan, then find the coverage that fits your needs and saves you money.
Get the best options before your renewal.
Jerry does all the picky, busy work by comparing prices and coverage from more than 50+ insurance companies. We compare what we find to your current policy and offer you the three best options before every renewal.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
What national forests are in Wisconsin?
I’m moving to Wisconsin for school in September and would love to do some outdoor exploring before starting classes. What national forests can I visit?
Jun 03, 2022
What can I use to keep cats out of the garden?
My neighbor has three cats that are always roaming around my backyard. I don’t mind them being there, but I do mind them crushing the plants in my garden—help! How do I keep them out?
Jun 03, 2022
How can I keep chickens out of the garden?
My husband and I live on 10 acres, and we’ve just finished planting our summer garden. We have 25 chickens that roam the area near the house, and we don’t want them digging through the garden—how do we keep them out?
Jun 03, 2022