How can I insure a truck that won't be driven?

"Is there a cheap way to insure a truck that won't get driven? I recently bought a new car and I didn't trade my old truck in like I thought I would. It might get used for camping, but I'm unsure."

Answer provided by
Shannon Martin
Answered on Jul 28, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.
“Yes, there is a way to insure a vehicle that won’t be on the road. If you don’t plan on driving the truck for at least 30 days, then a storage plan might be a good option for you.
With a storage plan, the bodily injury, property damage and collision coverage are removed from the policy. This makes the truck inoperable since it doesn’t have enough coverage to be street legal.
The only coverage that will remain will be comprehensive coverage for losses like:
  • fire
  • theft
  • vandalism
The cost of a storage plan is usually only a few dollars per month. Before you make this update, check with your local DMV. If they require the plates to be surrendered when insurance is removed, turn the plates in before you make this change. The plates and the coverages can be added back on at any time.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies