How can I get reimbursed for medical bills in Minnesota if I was in a rental car accident (not at fault) and from out of state?

I was in Minneapolis to visit family. I rented a car and was in an accident where I wasn't at fault. I know that Minnesota is a no-fault state, but being from out of town, I don't have personal injury protection. What should I do?

Answer provided by
Eric Schad
Answered on Apr 23, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.
“The answer to this question depends on whether you have your own car insurance policy for a personal vehicle.
Assuming you meet the minimum insurance requirements in your state, your policy will function as though you have the minimum amount of car insurance for Minnesota. Therefore, you can use personal injury protection coverage to pay for your medical bills.
If you don’t have your own car insurance, what type of insurance did you get from the rental company, if any? If you bought their personal accident insurance, this should cover your medical costs.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies