"How can I get out of a cosigned car loan? "

"I cosigned on a car loan for a friend that I thought I could trust, but as it turns out he is really bad at making financial decisions. He pays late all the time and it is killing my credit. I tried to talk to him about it and he got really mad and defensive. Is there some way I can get my name off the loan without his cooperation?


Answer provided by
Johnny Puckett
Answered on Jun 09, 2021
“Yes there is a way to get your name off the car loan, but it will cost you some money up front, and probably a friend. Even though he doesn’t seem to be respecting you at the moment, it still hurts to lose a relationship.
The first thing you need to do is to pay off that loan while you collect all the evidence you can that he was defaulting on the loan. Once the loan is paid off, you should sue him for not upholding his end of the deal.
You may also be able to sue him before paying off the car loan, but either way, you should definitely seek legal advice from a qualified lawyer.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies