How can I get car insurance if I'm going to be moving from Connecticut to New Jersey?

I am buying a new car and need insurance to complete the deal. I will be moving to New Jersey in three months. I'm looking at quotes online and there are only options for six- or 12-month policies. Can I get a shorter-term policy? Should I be looking at carriers that insure in both states?

“Although you will be moving in three months, most insurance carriers only offer six- or 12-month policies. There are companies that offer temporary car insurance, but they don’t always provide the most affordable rates. They also may not offer the coverage your new vehicle requires.
Many car insurance carriers operate throughout the United States. It’s worth shopping around with different carriers to find out who offers the best rate now.
Regardless of the carrier you go with, make sure you ask about their cancellation policy or read your policy’s terms and conditions. Some carriers charge fees for mid-term cancellations.
Once you move, you can update your address with your carrier. If they don’t offer coverage in that state, you can shop around to find another carrier who does. You may even find a better rate than what you were previously paying!
Emily Maracle
Answered on Apr 20, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies